ficus burgundy confusion

The Plant Swap Site Forums Plant Care Interesting Ideas ficus burgundy confusion

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  L foster 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

L foster
    Participant

imageimagetwo things are confusing me about my ficus burgundy. 1. this baby growth- is it supposed to grow that way? is it dwarfed because of crowding or pot size? it sits cozy with other plants on a windowsill. and the discoloration on the mature leaves- feels dry and a little rougher to the touch than the rest of the leaves which are super smooth- almost like dry skin. is this just a permanent scar from a short period of being too dry? the discoloration isn’t spreading, but it won’t go away, either. anyone know what’s happening here?

hunterqueen
    Participant

The wee leaves look like a good, healthy green. I would give it some time and see if they continue to get bigger. If this is the first new growth on a plant from a cutting, it’s kind of a baby even though it has big parent leaves too.

Is it possible the older leaves have done their job and are nearing the end of their life cycle? Plants lose leaves the same way you lose hair so new hair can grow. You may be right that these are not able to recover from the watering problem as readily as the baby leaves, if they were already nearing the end anyway. As long as the new growth stays healthy, your plant is healthy. 🙂

L foster
    Participant

whew thanks! I think you’re right about the older leaves. When I got the plant those were the leaves it initially had. My other ficus, a ficus ruby, is growing differently (getting much taller and larger but no apparent “baby” growth) even though they are almost in the same spot, so I wasn’t sure if the small leaves were a sign of a problem.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar